6/18/2005

loops

When I was a kid TV came in via a loop antenna or rabbit ears, whatever. I watched a lot of it, no matter where it came from.

From the time I was six or seven I would have these nightmares where I was driving a car, and the road would go straight up, or sideways, or straight down- I could feel myself balanced with finger and toenails clawing against a folcrum of gravity, leanin on it like a jumper pressed against the sill of a 37th story window ledge. I would wake up sweating, wondering what the fuck was going on - where these crazy dreams were coming from.

The culprit: Speed Racer. The cartoons haunted me, anything you watch long enough gets in, way down where the karma gets stored in soul-tight barrels waiting for the day to come when the barrels burst and the shit hits the fan.

I don't watch TV now - I have DVD, etc., but the cable has not been plugged in snce the fall of 2001, or should I say the Fall of 2001- I was so disgusted by 9/11 I gave up TV until such time as I change my mind.

I'm not a social butterfly, by any means, but it gets downright awkward when people start talking about this-or-that TV show and I just look / feel blank. I get My kids go to their friends' houses, watch TV, come home, want to tell me about it- it's just not interesting anymore - and I feel good about that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home