4/04/2006

Got Rolfed (1/10)

Since I'm at the library, I won't have time to document and detail this as closely as I would like.

So, in short...

Yesterday I attended my first Rolfing session. What is Rolfing? Very briefly, it's a technique used to re-sculpt the connective tissue, ease "strain-patterns", and from a skeletal point of view, re-shape the body. Yes, Virginia, it kind of hurts. :)

For a more concise description of Rolfing and Dr. Ida Rolf, the founder of the technique, here is the WIKI entry on Rolfing.

As some of you know, I am planning on (finally, after years of being diverted) starting my education in massage therapy. As a primer I read Robert Claire's very excellent book on Massage called "Bodywork." It outlines the mose widely used techniques, considering eastern / western and integrated points of view.

The section on Rolfing struck a chord, and I decided to intimately check it out.

The session lasted about 2 hours and cost me $125, which is at the low end of the fee scale for a session. The Rolfer (Deb) used no oil, she did use her elbows, wrists, and forearms a lot - first to clear my lymph system, and then to soften and adjust cartilage and connective tissue - yesterday, she concentrated on adjusting my neck and spreading apart my fixed ribs - she moved my freaking ribs! Rubbing, pulling, stretching, and pressing into the insertion points of tendons and ligaments, she 'opened' my shoulders, which have been turned in and forward for years. She lengthened my neck and realigned my chin to such a point that just sitting relaxed feels very (VERY) different today than it did yesterday. I can turn my head further than I have been able to in memory, and I'm having a bit of trouble walking around because I am looking at things from a different angle - it's as if my head position "at-rest" is focussed on a spot a couple of degrees higher than I'm used to - so I look further ahead while I'm walking. Also, my shoulders are so much straighter (across) it feels as if I'm pulling them back, even at rest.

She also worked on my hips and calves, noting the connection between those parts of my body and my neck position - I have never really thought about that before, but while she did it, I could feel those connections.

And, these changes are permanent. Also, the changes cascade - as the body gets used to the adjustments, it begins to "open up" (release strain-patterns) in other areas - I have seen some evidence of this this morning, and, from what I've read in the literature, it's only the beginning.

I will go back for session #2 in about a month.

I am ready, even at this early date, to recommend this technique to anyone who has posture or carriage-related discomfort.

I will post part 2 in about a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home