7/29/2005

I vote for Indifferent Design

It seems funny to me that, as science (in general) and physics (in particular) become more "developed", more and more scientists have stated that their levels of spiritual connection have intensified through their work.

There is no general statement I can make like that concerning the religious leaders of this world - nothing, say, that compares with the scientific postulation of the Indian Rishis more than 3500 years ago.

It also seems to me that science and religion both work within the duality of "rules" (faith) and "potential" (imagination.) Science has become much more imaginative and intuitive; relying on empirical systems, like Newtons laws, as guidelines that should be respected, but not necessarily held as boundaries.

Religion, on the other hand, has condensed itself to a dense mass of history and tenet that MUST NOT be broken, much less questioned - organized religion has sacrificed the imagination of it's members for the security of dumb faith- "Feed my sheep", Jesus said, but he didn't say exactly what to feed them to.

Anyway, if anyone can prove one way or another whether or not the universe was designed or evolved intelligently, elegantly, or accidentally, I doubt that I'll care at all, aside from the fact that the fighting might stop for a minute while the sides reorganize and regroup for the next one.

I think we should argue about the importance and power of silence.

[continued]

I (as were the Rishi scholars, Patanjali the foremost among them) am convinced that all things are connected, eveything, everywhere, everywhen, everyone.

To make the statement that science and religion are not interwoven is beyond my capability to understand. Both sets of pragma and dogma are designed to seek out the answers to the basic epistemological questions:

1. Where did I come from?

2. Why am I here?

3. Where am I going?

The 4th one I think of as the "Clinton" question:

4. What is the meaning of "is"?

And the 5th one - I call the "Dyer" question:

5. How do I get strawberry ice cream?

Some or all five of these questions are the core and corpus of every religious body of doctrine and revelation, and every scientific treatise. Whether it's the bible, the Qu'ran, the Gita, or the Buddhist Suttas that king Asoka had carved into stone about 2300 years ago; whether it's Newton's principia, Omar Kayam's Runiyat, Rumi's poems, Einstein's general field theory, Planck's constants, or Darwins Beagle diaries- it is evidence of humanity looking for the same thing, THE SOURCE.

Even if we are not scientists or spiritualists or atheists we seek our destinies by observing the past, present, and potentials of both the inner and outer wolds that we inhabit, seeking parity and balance. If that is not interconnectedness, I have no idea what to call it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home