9/16/2005

Rock Stars Suck

"It's not that you set you standards too high and fail; it's that you set them too low, and succeed."
-I Have No Idea

I've been told all my life that I can have anything and everything I want. It has been true - for everything. I have always gotten what I've wanted, truly wanted, without exception, even if I was lying to mysel about it - the lies somehow fell away, and I have ultimately managed to succeed in spite of my spurious nature- in spite of some me that I created to try to fool myself.

I have been told by many that I look famous, play well enough to be famous, write, think, arrange, solve, feel famous! I have managed to outwit them all because, I just don't want to be famous.

I spent the last 2 hours watching "Almost Famous", the story of truth and lies, and the faces of people that lie behind the masks of an industry that hs removed any and all honesty from ruthlessness. I also consumed a fair amount of beer.

So, prepare to be babbled at!

Music is the true blood that runs through my veins - I hear it in my head all day, all night, while I'm smoking, walking, eating, making love, puking, sleeping - I hear music. I have a guitar that has travelled with me everywhere for 2 decades, and I play it everyday - without exception. I think in lyrics, and walk to rythms - I taste the music of this universe- is there anyone ou there who know the taste of Rancid's "Out Come the Wolves" album? I do, it tastes like pizza and vodka - Pink Floyd tastes like fine blue Indica bud - and if Steely Dan, Sade, or Aimee Mann music doesn't taste like sex on a stormy night, I don't know what does.

Once, on a beautiful spring day when I was low, I sat outside the Fleetwood Diner drinking coffee and wiritng. A guy came by and asked if he could sit and change his guitar string - I said "Fine." He changed the string and proceeded to play Mark Knopfler's "Romeo and Juliet" which cracked me open like a swollen summer sky. He then moved on, and I sat and wept quietly until I thought I would crumble to dust and blow away. My life started really getting better after that. I'll never know his name.

My point is that I know more about music that I have words to express- I can't give you wrap sheets on the stars, I cannot give you track listings or trivial dates of any album that Leadbelly wrote - but I can burst into tears whenever I hear Wilco sing "Poor Places" or Joe Cocker wail "Darlin' Be Home Soon!" I can love Kate Bush, though a lot of the denizens of this planet consider her a performance-art catfight, and I can hold Cat Stevens tight to my soul, no matter what the politics behind the starmaker machinery demand I concur to be a heinous breach of trust with what is considered by an industry to be acceptable.

I am a man who cannot stand to walk into a home or any place where music is not welcome. You Process Quality Management Initiative junkies who have banned your employees from listening to song will find a special hell ready and waiting for your asbestos souls. I will not abide the absence of poetry in a woman's walk, or in the games of children. I will flee the human being who denies the power within themselves to make a joyful noise.

I seek the adapted;
the agreeable and amicably balanced;
the naturally compatible;
the inately concordant;
the unthinkingly congenial.
You congruous, consonant,
coordinated and cordial;
correspondent to dulcet
and euphonious sensousness!
I need the fair and fraternal harmonic humanity;
in accord, in chorus, in concert, in thoughtless step;
in tune!
Mellifluousity mixed to a musical, peaceful rhythm;
silvery, similar, simpatico;
sonorous, suitable and so sweet-sounding;
symmetrical, sympathetic, symphonies;
of tuneful, unison.

And I knew that I will never get that from an A list or the holder of a backstage pass.

Music is my passion
it is who I am, not what i do
never to be bought or sold
it is love on a stormy night
no matter the time or weather

Fuck Famous - I love being a lonely 2 AM street musician who plays for cigarette and coffee money (if that) - it's all free, anyway - all I need do is truly want it.

Good Night Uni(one)verse(song)

3 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...


I seek the adapted;
the agreeable and amicably balanced;
the naturally compatible;
the inately concordant;
the unthinkingly congenial.
You congruous, consonant,
coordinated and cordial;
correspondent to dulcet
and euphonious sensousness!
I need the fair and fraternal harmonic humanity;
in accord, in chorus, in concert, in thoughtless step;
in tune!
Mellifluousity mixed to a musical, peaceful rhythm;
silvery, similar, simpatico;
sonorous, suitable and so sweet-sounding;
symmetrical, sympathetic, symphonies;
of tuneful, unison.


That's just excellent. :clap:

Friday, September 16, 2005 5:26:00 AM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

so music is a religion to me as well. A way of being more so than creating. you can see this in the faces of musicians as they communicate their passions through its chords and melodies. Musics sensous nature courses through my veins. i can't breathe without it. i find people who have no passion for music, dry and benign. Mere shells of flesh and bone.

yea, being famous is an illusion of the weak minded. You can truly change the world one lampost/cigarette night song at a time. Touching the one soul it was meant for. To turn on one light. that will in successioin turn on many other lights.

dude this is great writing. thanks. love ya brandon. ;-)

Friday, September 16, 2005 9:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i did not read this post, its too long.

i did see the movie a hundred times in a row a few days befor the september 11 attacks on the WTC towers back when in New York. i also drank beer many of those hundred times.

once i had sex with a woman while watching that movie.

it is a good movie for me because it brings back memories. and because it meant a lot to me, the message. and because the soundtrack was wonderful and i had never heard sparks by the Who before that movie.

if you havent had sex with a woman whilst listening to Fever Dog, well you havent lived my friend.

this is all nonsense you know. i never think clearly at work.

can i trade in my dirty caloused fingers for a doctor or lawyers manicured nails now b? can i be an airforce pilot or a fireman or a vetrinarian?

or is the world of a musician one of those evolutionary speacialties? where you cannot backtrack and undue the damage to your body and mind?

this movie, that movie, whatever, made me ponder at 19 years old whether or not i could ever go back once i took that first twisted plunge screaming i am a golden god.

only, its not as fun as in the movies. and the people arent as kind. they dont accept each other, let alone me.

and in the movie, the drugs are like a joke.

in this here life they kill my dearest friends.

now that i think about it, fuck that movie. peace b, out.

Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home