7/30/2005

Me 40 - Universe 13 billion

Happy birthday to me! I don't have to spell OR punctuate correctly here, because it's MY birtday, my bb-b-b-b-b-birthday!

Well, I'm not older than dirt yet, but I feel like I'm catching up sometimes.

40 years ago - I'm sayin' (40*365)+10=14610 days bopping about on this dirtball- 6 kids, one failed marriage, lessons learned, I don't really want to be 40, I want to be 40 with the body of a 25-year-old, that's what my brains think they feel like, 25. Where's my clone! Get me my clone!

But, some part of me says, it's OK, you're at the top of that hill everybody says they get 'over' at 50, perspective is at it's finest right now - I can see for YEARS in both directions, I have this facility with handling both ignorance AND innocence - because, at this point in my life, I am neither.

40 birthday spankings I don't think I ever got - when I was a kid my birthday was the one day I was least likely to get hit. 40 what? 40 markers along this 14610 day path that arbitrarily define me - the only three ages that matter in this society are 18, 21, and 65 - and I'm smack in the socially irrelevant in-between. Jesus only lived to be 33, I've passed up the rock-star death age (27), and I'm facing middle age like I would a firing squad - with my hand in the air in that age-old position of utter defiance. We'll see about this mortality thing, and I'm right up against it- I know how to throw an elbow, and life better not forget that, cuz I'm on it!

I'm gonna stay up late and read and drink crappy wine coolers and sleep in late... (yeah, right! Those kids'll have me up at the CRACK of dawn.) But I will drink LOTS of coffee and demand presents all day, even when they run out of presents for me, and they will laud me with flattery and abuse of the kindest nature.

Hey, I'm 40, and life is good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

youre only 40? its just the beginning! i hope....

glad to know you. come on over to my blog sometime!

;-)

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:06:00 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

okay wait. 6 kids!? where is the nanny?

you are a supreme being...amen.

;-)

Friday, August 05, 2005 4:13:00 PM  
Blogger Anica said...

:hug: I look forward turning 40.
anica

Sunday, August 07, 2005 6:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home